Thursday, April 5, 2007

Does the Wire Really Represent Baltimore City Schools?

On Tuesday, April 3rd, I walked into school in the morning and I saw four large "WIRE" signs at the elementary school across the street from Vivien T. Thomas. Clearly, the producers of the show were filming an episode of the Wire for next season, and it made me think of a recent video I had seen on an ABC Video Podcast. Click below to watch:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2607274

This is a pretty incredible video that tries to determine whether or not our City schools are really as troubling as The Wire documents them to be. I have mixed feelings about this video. On one hand, I watch it and think that the ideas are right on. However, on the other hand, I find myself feeling rather troubled by the racial tones and stereotypes of the video. When I see videos like this, I unfortunately believe that it's these productions that uphold the standard stereotypes of our schools. It makes me want to write an editorial that defends our students and tell the public that even though there are aspects of these ideas in our schools, not all students represent the portrayed population.

Again, though, I fall back on the other side. Our schools are sort of a disaster. Even with the glimmers of hope, there are so many facets of the school system that are completely failing. The section of the video that really rings true occurs when the narrator discusses the fact that our students don't bring anything to or from school (books, paper, etc...). Now this is certainly not EVERY student, but it is a significant enough number to be relatively true. What really struck me was the narrator's claim, "Even the students know that it's [the schools and the educational system] a lie." Do the students know? Do they have ideas of what they're missing out on? Do they understand the achievement gap?

What I do appreciate about The Wire is its ability to attempt to be as truthful as possible about our schools and Baltimore communities. While there is a bit of "hollywoodizing," for the most part, the producers have experienced the system and are relying on personal testimonies. I optimistically believe that they are trying to expose the deficiencies of the system so that public outrage will stimulate reforms.

Overall, I'm willing to admit that our schools are in a great need of help. If it takes a show like The Wire to bring on change, then so be it. However, if shows like The Wire only work to uphold outsiders' views of the system and maintain a belief of hopelessness, then it's certainly taking the wrong steps. I hope that other teachers have an opportunity to express their views about such matters, for it's the stakeholders involved that are going to be the most influential in bringing Baltimore City schools to a place where they can truthfully offer all Baltimore students an excellent education.

No comments: