Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Role of Parents

I recently came across an article titled, “Parents’ Role in Schools Earns Fresh Respect.” To my surprise, the article was about Maryland’s new standards that places increased value on parent participation. The Maryland Department of Education has launched an awards program to recognize parents who have made an effort and contributed to schools in their community. It seems to me we are willing to reward people for everything these days. When talking to many of my high school students in Baltimore City, I realized – not to my surprise – that their parents have not been up to their school since middle school. When they do come, it is often for a conference for misbehavior. I do not doubt that contributions from parents can play a huge role, but I am wondering how proponents of the program Parent Involvement Matters, envisions the role of the parent and the role of the teacher. The National Network of Partnerships Schools would include as parent of their program, giving small grants to school districts to help them build parent-partnership programs. I find it interesting that Maryland has formed a parent advisory council that focuses on ways those parents can support student success. The major push for parent environment has emerged after the recent beating of a teacher by a student in Baltimore. Under the No Child Left Behind Act, schools are required to have a parent-involvement policy. From my experience with parents, in general, they do not know how to become involved or how they could be helpful. An effective parent-involvement policy could be very beneficial. There is only so much you can do in the school itself and during a school day. Many of the problems we are seeing come from the neighborhood. In most cases, parents would be very helpful in developing that bridge between the school and the community. Since Maryland is getting recognition for this initiative, I am looking forward to how to turns out in Baltimore City.

No comments: