Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Budget Cuts...at the expense of what?

Sheila Dixon today announced budget cuts today; I am assuming this is in response to the tightening economy. Affected departments include the fire department and public works, but I was especially taken aback by her cuts in parks and recreation and public libraries. All except two libraries will now be closed on either Monday or Friday, several pools have been closed and the Easterwood Recreation Center will also be closing. Easterwood, closed from dropping enrollment and needed repairs, is across the street from my school and I know our school has benefitted from having a recreation center.
I respect that our mayor has to cut back on expenses. However, I can’t help but be a little angry. Dixon, indicted for perjury, theft and fraud, seems to be leaving less and less options for the children of this city...in the name of saving the budget. I think back to my own adolescence and how much I benefitted from having structured, safe, public places to go, such as libraries and recreation centers. Our city seems to be giving the message that it is not a civic duty to provide enriching leisure for our children. Where do they go as more and more public places close? What options will we leave them?

No comments: