Sunday, March 22, 2009

HB 630: The Key to Restoring Respect in Schools?

A Price George’s County Democrat, Delegate Gerron S. Levi, introduced four bills, which she hopes will help restore respect at school. One of which caught my eye, was HB 630, which would mandate that parents and guardians whose children have been repeatedly suspended or chronically absent would lose access to some state tax benefits if they do not attend school/teacher conferences. I am intrigued to think of the ramifications this bill could have on Baltimore City Schools. Lately, I have done a lot of reflecting on my students’ progress in my classroom. While they are being challenged to work hard and achieve at high levels, I often question if I have had a real influence in developing them to be highly capable outside of my classroom. In a school environment where chronic absenteeism is the norm and where students lack appropriate social cues, I wonder if my students could make it in an environment which required them to be punctual, respectful, and hard-working at all times.

One student who I had not seen since the beginning of first semester reappeared in class last week. Although his family had been notified of his absenteeism and he had been on at least two short-term suspensions during the first semester, my principle is bending over backwards to develop a plan for him to graduate, complete three bridge projects in three days (just in time for tomorrow’s submission deadline), take three classes on Novell this semester, and get mandatory make-up work packets so that his first semester grades can be changed. Honestly, this has me heated! When are we going to stop giving chance after chance? We are demonstrating to our students that it is ok to be late, to come to school once in a while, do little to no work, and to be flagrantly disrespectful, because in the end, there is no accountability.

Perhaps HB 630 will restore some of the accountability that has been lacking on the parent/guardian side. As for our schools, it is high time we stop pretending the majority of our students are prepared and ready to go to college or go into the workforce. We need to show our students we care by holding high expectations. All of these chances only illustrate that we are pushovers (many times forced to act this way because of an unsupportive administration). The respect that is lacking can only be restored when we actually demand it and lead by example.

http://www.gazette.net/stories/02262009/lanhnew172109_32481.shtml

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you describe in the second paragraph is what I will forever take away from my first year of teaching, as that exact situation happened with MULTIPLE students of mine.... I want my students to be successful, I want to see them graduate, but when do we say enough is enough?