Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sounds like a small school to me

When I think of the factors which add up to a successful secondary school, I always land on the importance of relationships. If you were to ask me about my favorite parts of high school, I would tell you stories about Mr. G and how he would run around the room and get really excited and crazy about the books we were reading. Or I would tell about an assignment Mr. M gave us which allowed us to use calculus in every day life and in a creative way. Even moving on to college, even though the work was difficult and sometimes almost painful, I look back with fondness on the professors I spent my time learning from and with. The key to my successful education has always been my relationships.
When I read the NY Times article about President Obama's view of education reform and the role of relationships, I couldn't help but tie relationships back to small school reform. If teacher and student relationships are suspected to be key motivators for successful education, I think of strategy to increase these relationships. Instantly, I think of solutions which are within my realm of understanding, such as my school experiences.
I was the product of a small school. My relationships with my teachers were possible because of my small school and the consistent relationships I had with them over the course of four years. My classmates shared the same great teachers over the course of their four years as well, all of them knowing each of us on a personal basis and serving our best interest.
While other variables are in play, such as teacher retention for the four years we were in school, as well as a cohesive culture of excellence in the school community. Both of these variables are more easily developed and maintained in a small environment.
While this anecdote isn't enough evidence for nationwide school size reform, I feel assured our President holds teacher student relationships high on the track to success in education. The strategies to accomplish these relationships will need to continue to be researched and developed, eventually, providing a similar school experience to my students in Baltimore City as I had in high school.


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/opinion/13brooks.html?scp=1&sq=education%20reform&st=cse

No comments: