Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Value of Consistency

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about whether or not I should stay at the same school next year or explore new options. I was leaning towards moving on until listening to a panel of charter school teachers and administrators who brought up the value of consistency to the school and the students. If a school is going to truly improve is it important for teachers to stay to give stability and consistency to the kids? How much do the adults matter?

One reason why I think consistency could be important is the improvement I saw in my students behavior when I looped with them to the 8th grade. I didn't get a fresh start with a new group of kids, but the relationships I had built with students made the beginning of the school year fly by. I'm not sure if this would effect students whom I haven't taught, but there is something about knowing adults in the same environment for a period of time.

Another question I have been pondering is whether or not consistency in one classroom can make a difference for students and adults in other areas of the school. For example, I know I feel calm knowing there are adults who have been in the school for a long time to help me if I need it. Just having them there and listening to stories about the school in the past makes me feel like part of a team, motivated to improve the school.

The question that I am left with is: Will staying at my school for a third year ultimately impact my students and their academic success? I don't know how to begin to measure this, but it is a question worth exploring.

1 comment:

Sam Harvey said...

I've been pondering the question of consistency myself. I am leaving my school to pursue a teaching position at a successful charter school in Chicago. There are many days when I think that I'm "giving up" on my students. Personally, I wanted to find a school that would help me develop personally as a teacher so that I can be an effective administrator one day in the future.

I saw improvement in behavior with the students that I looped with from English I and II last year to English III and English IV this year. The relationships I built were invaluable, and I think that relationships create a strong foundation for learning, but I'm not sure if these relationships are enough for me to stunt my own personal growth. At my school, I am more of a mentor than a mentee - and I'm a second year teacher! I have an extreme amount of growing to do, and I see myself becoming more frustrated with the education system instead of hopeful if I stay in my current school. Based on discussions I've had with teachers in similar situations, this seems to be a common concern.