Friday, July 1, 2011

Four more years? Impressive.




While I know very little about Dr. Alonso or how long a normal CEO stays in Baltimore City, for some reason I am impressed by his willingness to keep the job.  I think this reaction has to do with the comments he made to the Sun’s editorial board. In an interview, he said there was, “"no way, I step away from the fight. So, you have to deal with me for four years or until I get fired.”  This is both courageous and inspiring. My belief about teaching is similar to this, and that is why I can’t leave after only two years. I can’t make enough of a change in two years and am not willing to step away from the fight.

I am not Dr. Alonso’s biggest fan, but his announcement and coinciding remarks earned him some respect. More than anything, our students need consistency, and for our students to get consistency, their teachers need consistency. With Alonso staying another four years, we know that at the very minimum, teachers can expect some form of ‘normal’ in our system – for better or worse.

2 comments:

D.Rowe said...

Austin,

This speaks a lot of Dr. Alonso's attitude towards the students and teachers of Baltimore City. Ultimately, I believe he has faith in our diligence to truly make a difference by inspiring and teaching the youth of Baltimore. When leaders leave after a few years, you simply have to wonder why they step into the role if they are only half committed. Consistency is vital in insuring that Baltimore City leads the way in closing the achievement gap across the nation.

D.Rowe said...

I find it not only impressive, but uplifting to the Baltimore community. Having a strong leader means being truly dedicated to changing the failing systems and ensuring that the school systems raise the bar. I find it disheartening that so many superintendents have taken charge only to leave after a few years without making any significant growth on behalf of the schools, teachers, parents, or students of Baltimore City.
i believe Baltimore City will continue to be innovative in our approach to raise test scores, and I believe our families to be more willing to ensure they push their children to success under consistent leadership from Dr. Alonso. I also believe as a 2-year teacher that I can put more credibility into our system and also teach beyond my two-year commitment.