Friday, February 24, 2012

The Shortlist

A Baltimore County 6th Grade Teacher


12 Things She Can’t Live Without


Though this may sound trite, I would be remiss without saying that being a teacher is grueling. I chose the word grueling because it is a new vocabulary word that we introduced to our 6th graders this week. The examples I gave my students when introducing the terminology all dealt with my experiences in the classroom and in life. In order to be a truly effective teacher and make the vocabulary meaningful, I wanted my kids to visualize the relevance of the vocabulary to their lives as well. While teaching is grueling, here’s The Shortlist of what I can’t live without; in teaching and in life, so I don't burnout.

1/ My Car.

I currently reside in another state, driving an hour and a half each way. Without a reliable vehicle I can’t teach my kids every day. Though as the cost of gas increases, the drive seems more grueling each week =)

2/ Coffee

I have two coffee pots and a French press at home, one in my classroom, and I am a frequent patron at Starbucks. I always order my coffee as strong as I can get it and always extra hot.

3/ SanDisk Pink Flash Drive

The 8GB piece of plastic is my professional lifeline. All my lesson plans, resources, handouts, Hopkins work, etc is on that jump drive. I constantly check to make sure I have it, without it I would be loss.

4/ The Copy Machine.

5/ Cupcakes (Red Velvet, Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Caramel…..) I love to bake and decorate them. When I am feeling really nice, I bake them for my kids.

6/ My DVR.

I can catch up on any and all TV shows, movies, news reports I can’t watch live. Plus……..I can fast forward through all commercials!


7/ The 6th Grade Reading Team.

We are all very different. But we have found a rhythm and flow this school year. Just the volume of lessons and resources we have collaborated on and shared with each other has made the high achievement of our students possible.

8/ My Laptop.

9/ Campbell’s Soup-at-Hand.

I never seem to have time to sit down and eat lunch. Soup-at-Hand is so quick and easy, and I can stockpile them in my closet.

10/ Passing PRAXIS II scores!

11/ Books.

I absolutely love reading. There is something so magical about reading an amazing novel. I still remember the first time I read Pride and Prejudice. Each time I read that book I fall in love with Mr. Darcy all over again……….it’s those experiences with reading that I want to pass on to my kids.

12/ My kids.

Without my kids I don’t know how I could survive. My students drive me crazy, cause me numerous frustrations, but in the end they amaze me with their capacity for learning, and I wouldn’t have them any other way.

To Read Full Article: http://k6educators.about.com/cs/helpforteachers/a/avoidburnout.htm

No comments: