Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Generation Gap

I decided to show my students a movie. While that might put me in line with Cameron Diaz's "Bad Teacher," in my defense, the movie was a historical film. I wanted to show the film because I felt that the historical events of the United States during World War II should, especially with regards to race relations, should be of interest. I showed my kids one of my favorite movies, "The Tuskegee Airmen," and I was disheartened. Because "Red Tails," was out in theaters, and I remembered that my students were aware of the movie when it was released, I had high hopes that they would love my movie. Sadly, my kids seem interested in small portions, but overall unimpressed. Why could they not see the merits in this film? Why am I and those of my generation and earlier respectful and appreciative of those that set the foundations for us to follow?

As I reflect on the decision to show the film, I am reminded that even though I am a history buff, not all of my students will be. Yet, a part of me was hoping that I would light a spark within them to be interested, if not fully fascinated, with history. At the least I hoped my students would have an appreciation for the sacrifices of the soldiers and African Americans throughout that time period. I feel that a disconnect with the realities African Americans faced has created a generation gap almost as deep as the achievement gap. As teachers I think it is important to continue to expose our students to resources that are culturally relevant. Even if the relevant resources are not appreciated at the time, maybe they will stick later on. Though I was saddened by the overall reactions, or lack there of, to the movie, I was pleased when a student told me that he wanted to be in the Air Force, and the movie reminded him of a Bessie Coleman article we'd read earlier in the year. While the impact may have been minimal, there was an impact.

Link to complete article: http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/list/classmovies.html

1 comment:

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.