Monday, July 16, 2012

The Summer Slide


I recently read an article from the Des Moines Register presenting the argument for year round schools. The data from the Des Moines Public Schools, where five elementary schools, who serve a high number of low income (87% FARMS) and ESOL students are proving the case that a shortened summer break, from 12 to 6 weeks is helping keep students on track and lessening the dreaded summer slide. Standardized testing scores are not off the charts, but a move from the lowest performing spot in the district to outperforming the district averages shows progress in the right direction.

I wonder how such a shift from the traditional school year to a year round model would benefit our students here in Baltimore City? We see our students make so much progress during the year, only to have to spend the first couple months of the school year re-teaching material as well as classroom expectations. Those opposed to the idea argue that a shortened summer break does not allow for family time, summer camps, and part time jobs. While this argument might hold up in a suburban community where these programs are easily accessible,  many of our students here in Baltimore City do not have the same level of  opportunity to attend such enrichment camps or summer reading programs.

The article failed to discuss the positives and pitfalls for teachers with a year round calendar. Based on my own experiences I would have to believe that such a system with more frequent breaks would allow for rejuvenation, self-reflection, and the opportunity to attend professional development. With such a system I also wonder how student growth could be better assessed on a more frequent basis and the findings could be applied to instruction in a timely fashion?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the idea of an extended school year to help thwart the summer slide is largely a good idea. Across the city, many students already spend their summers in summer school which speaks to the feasibility of this option. There are already resources in place to fund an extended year, though there would certainly need to be more funding. Additionally, schools with extended school years such as KIPP have proven that longer school years can help students retain learning and more easily make academic gains.

RWolfman said...

I think this post brings up some very important questions. Throughout my own schooling I have always been opposed to year long schooling but mostly because I was approaching the model from a suburban student standpoint. Now as a teacher while I feel it would be very exhausting for the teachers and students it would also help avoid the "summer slide" and help students to retain the information because they would not have two months of not practicing the material. The truth is that this makes such a difference in urban schools because many students with the opportunities to read or have challenging and stimulating conversations and experiences with their parents can do so during the summer. They continue to explore and learn while students in an urban environment with less resources may not be able to.

Unknown said...

I am terrified of the summer slide. I am moving up a grade level this year and as a result will have all of my students (plus the other 23 First Graders who I know very well) again. At first glance I absolutely agree with the necessity for extended school years in systems such as ours. Funding issues aside, it seems like the perfect solution to ending the summer slide.

Recently, however, I read an article in the New York Times that discussed the overwhelmingly positive impact that "non-academic" summer programs can have on student learning and eliminating the summer slide. Traditional summer camps provide almost limitless opportunities for authentic application of skills taught in schools while providing a developmentally appropriate environment for students to develop as people. Perhaps I am a little biased (I am an eight-year overnight camp veteran,) but maybe the answer to the summer side can lie in providing opportunities for our students to experience the same enriching activities as their wealthier peers. Many summer programs offer "camperships" for low-income children who wish to come to camp. Perhaps forming school-camp partnerships could help our students as much, if not more, than an extended school year.

Unknown said...

I have always been interested in seeing the data for year round schools, but as an overall concept, I am a huge supporter of a year round school with less of a 12 week summer break, and more frequent breaks throughout the year. I have seen such schools where throughout the entire year, the schedule follows an 8 week in school, 3 week off cycle, which seems to bring a rejuvenation to the teachers and the students at the school.

Last year, I taught a class where I saw my students twice throughout the day. After having my students leave the class for only a few hours and come back after lunch and a few other classes, I could see some students had completely forgot what we had completed in the first period of class. Retention of material can be hard for students. Going to 5 or more classes a day, and then going home, sometimes to hold even more responsibilities can be difficult; especially for students that are already below average in certain skills or even grades behind. What do you think happens to their retention of the material after 3 months of being away from the classroom?

As a new teacher, I love the 12 weeks I am given off to reflect on my school year. However, there were numerous times this year I wish I had just a few extra days to make some changes that needed time to plan and execute; time I did not have have because of all of the other work I needed to get done. A year round school year with shorter but frequent breaks would do wonders to teachers motivation and support.