Friday, May 4, 2007

beginning to believe these changes will never happen

We talk again and again about the changes that need to take place in our schools and about the possibility for success if people would simply follow through with the sometimes great ideas for change that they actually have. My principal recently asked me to be in charge of our Title I funds (the grant received from the city) and to select (with her assistance) and purchase supplies for my school. I was sent to North Avenue to be trained on E-School Mall (the online catalog and purchasing tool that schools use to order and purchase supplies), received my training, a log-in, the works. Except what has happened since? Nothing. What was a great idea – put a specific individual in charge of the funds, someone who is at the very least computer literate (the last “treasurer” was not) and who is dedicated enough to the school so that they will take this task seriously.

Have I heard anything else about the funds? Has the principal yet asked me to begin this new additional job as school treasurer? Of course not. I was originally told that the money had to be spent by the end of March. It is now May and I never heard another thing about it. So did my principal’s idea for change actually end up hurting my school more in the long run? What happened to the funds that could have been used and should have been used for my school?!! The grant supposedly ran out in March and no one seems to care about this fact at all. Yet another example of how ideas for changes that could potentially aid our schools have fallen short. And it’s because those in charge are failing to follow through and implement the changes they conjure up.

No comments: