Friday, May 4, 2007

Unionized

Where oh where is our union? It wasn’t until after we had our class on unions that I realized the potential of unions and an unfortunate missing link between BTU and its union members. This year I realized the importance of the contract, but then what can really happen when a grievance is filed? This year I had the chance to experience the support of the union because of an issue at my school. The union rep was extremely supportive and the school rep was well. We had a brief exchange, yet no grievance was filed in the school. I guess my principal caught wind of the wheels turning attempting to pacify my dissatisfaction. Although BTU was the friend I needed in a time of distress, do I feel part of a union? Not really. Now that re-negotiations are in effect what will happen next year. We were all aware of the issues addressed in most of the BTU debates with the city: longer work day, fewer planning hours, and cutting back on sick days to name a few. The Baltimore Sun even calls the renewal issues ‘insulting.’ (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/education/bal-md.ci.board25apr25,0,1917976.story?coll=bal-local-headlines).

I feel secure with the union by my side as a teacher, but doesn’t it maintain a bare minimum for those teachers who barely slide by? In other professional settings do dress code issues, beginning and ending hours, and minimum responsibilities determine how well an employee executes their practice? At times I am ashamed by the actions of other teachers in the school district, but can do nothing about it because of their protection by the union. The issue that angers me the most is the teachers who stroll in 30 minutes after their students enter their classroom. They receive nothing but a slap on the wrist, and continue to practice this unprofessional decorum. The union protects all teachers under its contract, but there needs to be some accountability for those teachers that abuse the system. I say this in anger because I deal with a teacher who decided to one day fail to return to work. Her students have been my responsibility for over two months. What is the union doing about teachers like that?

No comments: