Sunday, April 13, 2008

Low Expectations: The Wide-Spread Educational Virus

I sometimes marvel at how our class discussions directly mirror our lives as teachers in Baltimore City. More often than not, I leave our class feeling down-hearted, hopeless. After all, how can we, a handful of dedicated teachers, change the entire system? Almost always, those negative feelings morph into more motivational ones as I realize that, in a system that is so twisted and flawed, our students need our efforts more than we can possibly know.

We have repeatedly discussed the importance of strong, dedicated teachers to have a successful school community. As I have applied to new schools for next year, I have noted the vast difference between the interview procedures between my present possibilities and my first interview in Baltimore city, for my current school. Two years ago, I walked up to a table at the hiring fair, the assistant principal saw that I was with Teach for America, and she signed me with her school before she knew anything about me. In the past few months, I have gone through interviews, observations, video tapings, phone conversations, and more, simply to be considered at the schools.

As I contemplate these differences, I can’t help but think about the not-so-subtle implications of each hiring process. With the first, nothing was expected of me. I simply had to show up and I was officially a teacher. With the latter, my lesson plans, resume, cover letters, discussions, and observations have to fit the mold of the school in question. At an interview today, after reading an article by Alfie Kohn, the interviewee asked us, “If Baltimore City already knows what we need to improve each school, why don’t they do so?” Hmm, if nothing is expected of us at the start, what instant impression does that give? And what sort of support will an administration give if they have such low expectations for their teachers?

Driven teachers can challenge themselves and their students, holding the students to high standards. But, it is an uphill battle in each direction. This is one main reason why teachers either burn out and quit, or they remain in their jobs as miserable beings, going about their daily lives. These incessant low expectations affect everyone in the education equation: administrators, teachers, parents, and, most importantly, the students. Students in this environment have the biggest challenges to overcome- to stay motivated and to demand a bright future for themselves.

All of this shows how important it is for us to stay engaged in our students, in all of our students. Despite the means by which we got our jobs, all of us have stayed here for our kids. While it is difficult to remember this at times (like when our most difficult students are driving us crazy), it is this care that will carry us through and keep our expectations high.

No comments: