Sunday, April 13, 2008

Will Violence Bring About Change?

This morning I received my copy of the Baltimore Sun and was confronted with the headline, “Attack Highlights Chronic Problem.” Two years ago I would have been shocked by the recent news report of Jolita Berry and the drama at Lewis and other high schools. While I still am outraged at the issues of the system we work in, I feel numbed to the accounts of violence and under education that are highlighted daily in the news. On Friday, my students and I discussed this recent media onslaught on Baltimore city schools during Socratic Circle. Without my provocation one student said, “This makes us look so bad. We know this stuff happens, but I mean now everyone is gonna think I am that girl.” I completely agree with her. Yet again, our school community is portrayed as teachers as soldiers and students as attackers.
Instead of being discouraged by yet another negative spin on our system, I looked into the opportunities for change the article highlighted. I feel that for the past few months Dr. Alonso has been painted as the savior of our system and this article was no different. To quell the violence we face, Alonso explained that by giving principals autonomy, better systems could be put in place to stop the violence. Principals can use their money to create in school suspension and remediation programs. Once these magical budgets come out, I am curious to see how principals will manage their inadequate funds – will a principal really want to take his/her precious dollars and pay someone to babysit kids during in school suspension? Alonso also threatened to simply replace principals who are not doing a good job. This might actually help stop violence in some schools – if the NEW principal can create an environment where violence is not tolerated.
The idea of community governing boards was suggested as well, which is not a bad idea – but I wonder with all this negative press, who will want to be a part of these boards? As we discussed in class, there are some students that do not seem to fit in traditional high schools. The alternative high school options we have in Baltimore are not enough to service our students’ vast needs. I do believe that rethinking options for students with records of offenses, overage students and students with emotional needs is the key for systemic change. I am eager to see what CHANGE will come about not that we have this national media push to force us to CHANGE or continue to be portrayed as a place with no hope.

No comments: