Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Not even sure where to start...

I am far from being a parent, but I can't even fathom the frustration of having a child attend a failing school. Many schools in Baltimore are not meeting AYP. It's my understanding that when schools fail to meet AYP parents have options to receive supplemental educational services to help ensure their children receive an adequate education. After all, a zip code shouldn't determine the rigor and availability of educational opportunities.

So I got inspired when this concept was mentioned in class. Jeez, my school isn't meeting AYP so why haven't I heard of this before? I spent a solid two-plus hours tonight, feeling really stubborn, trying to figure out just how I would find and get supplemental educational services for my student who, for instance, attends my school and is severely behind. His deficit isn't for lack of trying - he wants success.

After spending some time figuring out that the jackpot term is
supplemental educational services I finally got somewhere. I couldn't simply type in "tutoring" in MSDE or Baltimore City's website and get anywhere. I swear, I'm not trying to be dense.

Once I arrived at MSDE's page on SES, I found it interesting that one of their goals is to "Providing incentives to schools to improve schools in need of improvement." I see zero pressure for my school to improve because of SES threats. And if it's really a goal of MSDE to "provide options to parents to help them ensure their children receive a quality education" than why don't parents even know how to access SES opportunities? I have had many candid conversations with parents whose students are not on grade level, and they are at a loss. I had no idea that SES was even a policy until taking a closer look at urban reform. If this is such a quiet initiative, than how can it possibly be an honest effort?

So here is my hope. My hope is that parents will stumble upon this page and realize that they don't have to settle for their students learning from a few diamonds in the rough (props to the professionals who do everything in their power to empower children). No, they can pursue (as long as their schools are failing AYP) opportunities to make sure their students aren't missing essential opportunities. I plan to print this brochure and application and to give to all my students. Except wait, I teach high school. Why aren't there any high schools in this brochure? Do we not need to worry about them? Or is this a funding game with Title I? I know, at least I think I know, that high schools can receive Title I funds but it's rare. Then I find the official Title I list and see that no high schools in Baltimore qualify as Title I. Do they opt out to also opt out of stipulations that might be annoying BUT ensure academic equality, i.e. SES. I admit, I could be totally off-base here. I don't know how BCPSS decides who gets placed on the list, because I'm pretty sure they can opt out.

Back to "parent" mode: I still feel confused about how to get an equitable education for my child. I've been to MSDE's website and even looked at their SES parent overview. I happened to click on a federal link that brought me here, and I generated a dandy report that seems to say Maryland is doing what it's supposed to do to provide SES. Yet I have no idea how to get it for my kid. I see a Frequently Asked Question link and decide to click it. I'm deflated. Apparently my child doesn't qualify for equitable funding because his high school that isn't meeting AYP also isn't a Title I school. It's confusing, because the point of SES doesn't seem to be focused on just Title I schools but it looks like that's a requirement for me to get a tutor that I can't otherwise afford. What if I submitted the SES application for Baltimore City for my high school student? Then I read this clause:

Half an attempt to provide an equitable education isn't good enough; and spending a few hours scouring the Internet doesn't make me an excerpt. But sure as hell makes me concerned about the way that policy and practicality and ethics are neglected at the expense of wonderful young people.

Note - I learned about this as I wrote it because, well, it's a blog! It's supposed to read in a conversational tone.

No comments: