Monday, May 5, 2008

Something positive?

After reading so many posts, and hearing so much negativity today in my faculty meeting, I knew it was time for something positive. As I searched the internet for news articles about Baltimore City, I stumbled upon this article from the end of 2006. If you ever get to a point where you don't think things can change, or that what you do isn't going to make a lasting difference, please read this inspirational (albeit poorly formatted) article about the work our students are doing to demand a better education for themselves. This blog entry is not really about this one article, it is about a culture that I see developing even within our once optimistic crew.

We all got into this business knowing it was going to be hard, and we all took pride in the fact that we were going to being doing something that not only was going to change the world, but that was going to be really tough. And now, as the year (and years) comes to a close, I hear so many comments that make me sick to my core. We are here for the kids, period. I know it is not always easy--last week was possibly the hardest week I have had to date--but isn't that why we got into this? If it was easy, then there wouldn't be a gap to close. If it was easy, our kids wouldn't have to choose between taking care of their children and siblings or going to school. This job is hard, but it is also the best job in my mind out there. So to all the teachers who are leaving, either because you are going to do bigger and better things next year (and seriously good luck, we need people in the rest of the world to know about our amazing kids), or because your mind is already on summer break, remember our work here is not done. It will never be done, and it is our job to keep working and try our best to smile through it.
I know this is starting to sound a bit like a rant, but in my 2nd month teaching I heard a 2nd year teacher tell me that her best teaching practice was smiling. That she makes sure to start each class with a smile, no matter what else is going on. And though sometimes it isn't easy, I try to remember that everyday. And our students notice. One day as I stood at the door, I welcomed a student and he said, "What is the matter? You always have the biggest smile on your face. Do you not feel like teaching us today?" I had been off in my own troubles, and not focused there on him. I shook my head, and gave him the biggest smile I could muster. "Are you kidding? I always want to teach you!"
Chins up troops!

No comments: