Monday, March 4, 2013

Physical Assault on Teachers


          A recent ABC2 news report1 shed the light on an issue that most inner-city teachers are aware of, but few speak out about. That issue is teacher abuse. In the past 5 years, reports show that four BCPS school personnel are assaulted by BCPS students every single day. There have been noticeable increases in the number of teacher assaults in the last two years. Evidence shows that seventh, eighth, and ninth graders commit these assaults most often.
            The 2008 attack on Jolita Berry2, an art teacher at Reginald F. Lewis (RFL) high school is what is brought to the forefront of most educators’ minds when they hear the words “teacher assault.” The brutal attack was captured on a cell phone and publicized on Myspace. When I was first assigned to work at RFL, I Googled the name and articles about the assault were the first thing to pop up. I was terrified.
            Unsurprising to any BCPS teacher, in Berry's court case, “the defense made a presentation questioning Berry's teaching skills, noting that she was on a performance improvement plan (PIP) at the time of the incident and a hall monitor was assigned specifically to stand outside her classroom.” Last spring, our administration put almost every teacher on a PIP for not passing enough students.
            Current BTU president, Marietta English states that teachers should not have to face physical and verbal assaults at work each day1; yet they do. Teachers at inner-city schools go to work knowing they will be cursed at, threatened, and possibly even assaulted by their students. Administration says cases of teacher assault are “completely unacceptable,” yet (in my opinion) they don't do anything to prevent them or to lower the incidence of these increasingly violent acts.
            Karen Webber-Ndour is the Executive Director of the office of Student Support and Safety for BCPS. Her job is to change the perception, feel, and environment of a school in order to decrease violence. Her program has been piloted in 32 BCPS schools and so far, the results have been promising. Webber-Ndour claims there has been a drastic decrease in suspensions in that pilot group of schools, an increase in community and parental involvement1.
            In order to decrease the number of teacher assaults and to better the culture and climate of City schools, we need more funding for programs like Karen Webber-Ndour’s and Professional Development for teachers on building better relationships with students. Students need to be held accountable for their actions. Incidents of students who attack teachers cannot be “swept under the rug.” Teachers should feel safe walking into their workplace. Teachers should never be threatened by or assaulted by students. If the system wants to retain high quality teachers, the system needs to change the way they view teacher assaults.

1: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/region/baltimore_city/student-on-teacher-assaults-on-rise
2:http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/education/blog/2009/02/witnesses_say_jolita_berry_pro.html

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing this information. As an elementary school teacher, I was relatively unaware of the magnitude of this problem. While I knew some schools were unsafe, I really had no idea how bad it has become. I wonder if this is an indirect result of the push to decrease suspensions. Often, I feel like schools really don’t have options for punishing students. If we give too many suspensions, we are an unsafe school. However, if we don’t suspend, what message are we sending to students?

JD said...

Last year I was hit with a trashcan by one of my 7th grade boys, and I was scolded by my Principal and Assistant Principal for wanting him to be suspended and not being more concerned about him being in school to prepare for the upcoming MSA (as if that is where this student's focus was when he was in school). The student was never suspended and was in my class the next day, and the message my administration began giving to our staff at meetings was "the district isn't letting us suspend anyone, so if you want something done you'll have to press charges."

So, the next time I was assulted by one of my students, I had to nag the school police officer (who happened to have a soft spot for my notoriously misbehaved student) to write up an incident report for me to take to the Baltimore City Juvenile Court (for which he gave me the wrong address). I ended up filing a complaint against the student and sending my administration the section of the BTU contract that says when a teacher has pressed charges against a student, that student may not be in his/her class until it is resolved. Luckily, that kept him out of my class; but he (again) was never suspended and just roamed the halls during my classtime instead of having any official admistration intervention. (Ultimately, this student was out of my class for the last two months of school, and in the summer I got a letter saying the court was not going to charge him but provide him with counselling.)

I think it is insane that a student being physically violent with a teacher is not grounds for immediate suspension nor for expulsion (as I believe it should be) and that BCPSS principals are currently given huge bonuses for low suspension rates. If schools were consistent with suspensions/expulsions up front for major misbehaviors, like teacher assult, I think we'd find schools to be much safer and the rates of suspensions/expulsions AND of violent incidences would decline over the year when students realized that there were actually real consequences for their actions. Right now it is clear to me that their a none.

JD said...

*there is none.