Saturday, October 15, 2016

Hidden Agendas: My Take on the Executive Orders

           The education community in Maryland has been abuzz about Governor Hogan’s executive order for Maryland Schools to begin after Labor Day since he issued it in August.  It’s a divisive issue and has two clear sides from what I have seen so far.  Governor Hogan cited giving children more time with their families, creating more tourism revenue, and keeping students out of un-air-conditioned schools as his reasons for creating the executive order.  However, some education officials believe that the governor is acting outside of his control and that his listed interest in the schools are less than genuine.

            On October 11, Governor Hogan issued a second executive order outlining specific guidelines for schools in Maryland to ask for waivers to begin school before Labor Day.  The new order states that only charters and low-performing schools may apply for waivers and only if they have a school schedule that requires them to be open in the summer.  The order also states that districts can seek waivers if they have been closed for 10 days within two of the last five school years for bad weather.  A spokesperson for Hogan said that this order was created as a best solution for the concern and confusion about the waiver process.
            I will admit that I as a teacher I was very excited to begin school after Labor Day and to be guaranteed to end school a few days earlier in June.  I think that the students really do have a harder time learning when it is nicer outside, and I know in my experience, keeping the students engaged during the summer months of June and August becomes twice as difficult.  When I went to elementary school, Catholic schools never started before Labor Day.  They didn’t start going back before Labor Day until I was in high school, although some still remain closed until then.  I have always thought, even before I was teaching in public school, that schools stay open too long and go back too early.  It seems like kids don’t even get to have a summer break any more.

This type of executive order is unprecedented in Maryland and many people believe that governor Hogan has over-stepped his authority.  They believe that he is taking away control from local school boards.

As with a lot of issues in education, I find myself in middle ground.  I personally don’t think that school should start until after Labor Day.  When I was in school, we never started before Labor Day, and I learned the same things that my counter-parts in public schools learned.  However, I understand that my view is a little biased because of how I spent my summer.  When I had summer breaks, my family was able to go on vacation, my grandparents or a baby-sitter could watch me while my parents were at work, and I had access to books that I could read all summer long.  I understand school officials’ concerns that lots of families cannot afford enriching experiences for their children during the summer, and that starting school later would be harmful to them both educationally and financially.  From what I have heard people within the education community, in addition to the concern about the actual education, are concerned because if Governor Hogan enacts executive orders like this they worry about what else he will enact orders about within the education community.

This may seem pessimistic of me, but I have a hard time buying into the fact that people on boards and people in politics have genuine agendas when it comes to education.  I put a lot more stock in what actual teachers and staff think when it comes to school policies.  I tend to think that people always have some other type of agenda, even if it’s just a power struggle.  For example, a lot of “school officials” are concerned about Governor Hogan’s orders because they think it will be detrimental to education, but I have to wonder if they really feel that education will suffer that much or if they are just concerned because they didn’t come up with the idea.  Baltimore, Carroll, and other counties created two calendars—one that starts before Labor Day and one that starts after, and their boards will vote on them in either November or December.  When discussing the original executive order, school officials and TABCO representatives were trying to explain to the public that students must be in school for a certain number of days and that schools had to be open before Labor Day to accommodate all of those days.  However, if Baltimore and other counties have created two calendars, I wonder how true that is.  To me, if they can create two calendars, it means that there is a workable option to have students be in school the required number of days while starting after Labor Days.  This makes me wonder if school officials are actually concerned about these students’ education or just the fact that the governor is encroaching on their territory.  I wonder what would have happened if Governor Hogan had enacted an executive order with which a lot of “school officials” agreed.  Would they still be questioning his authority or would they be more inclined to let it go.

            I think that a lot of time in education, particularly when politics come into play, there seem to be a lot of power struggles, and the students and teachers kind of get caught in the crossfire.  They get stuck following policies (or being stuck in schools without air-conditioning) because people who are making decisions have lost what their purpose is supposed to be.  I think that Baltimore and Carroll counties did the right thing by creating two options.  To me this shows their actual concern for students’ education because they took action and made two workable options so whichever way this debacle turns out, they will be prepared.

            I’m interested to see what becomes of this issue.  I want to know what will happen if it is determined that Governor Hogan is within his authority to enact the order.  What will school boards that oppose it do then?  I also wonder what kind of doors this is opening for other executive orders within the education community.  In general, and I know this probably every teacher’s dream, I wish that politicians, board members, and educators could work together to determine best policies for students, but I feel that too many power struggles and additional agendas get in the way.


The article that discussed the second executive order is from The Baltimore Sun and can be found at this link http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/blog/bs-md-hogan-school-start-order-20161011-story.html




No comments: