Saturday, March 31, 2007

Annual Survey Data

Have you seen this?

http://www.bcpss.org/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp

The other day I came across the results of the annual Baltimore City School surveys. These surveys include all of the information from staff, parent and student surveys that were given earlier in the year.

I was disappointed, but at the same time not surprised to find that my school did not receive rave review in all categories (student-to-student bullying for example). But I was completely surprised at other data (at least half of teachers say they feel supported by the administration).

Especially for the categories that involved administrator support, I expected the data to be worse than it was, although it wasn't great. Did they put my data on here? It doesn't seem that they have all of my information, so does that mean that someone at my school or in BCPSS is purposefully changing the data? How does the data for your school match up with the opinions you gave on your survey and how you perceive your school?

Looking at this information was very interesting and informative. I (obviously) think about my school in terms of the issues that I face, so to see how my students and parents view was eye-opening. I was happy to see that most of my students feel safe at school and that they believe their teachers are effective. It was also encouraging to see that most of my students felt their teachers cared about them on a personal level. Unfortunately some of the data suggests that parents and students are not satisfied with how the school is run.

I hope that our administration is using this data purposefully to direct the programs they use and begin at our school. It seems like such a waste if they don't!

Check out the data for your school.

No comments: