Saturday, March 31, 2007

Incentives in one Baltimore City School

A few weeks ago at our monthly staff meeting, we had an outside presenter who was discussing our school's Positive Behavior Interventions Systems (PBIS). He discussed the incentives that students receive that help motivate them to be successful in classroom and other school settings. Off-handedly the presenter asked our principal what types of incentives she has in place for her staff. Her reply was a very cold "It comes once every two weeks, that's what they get."

I think was one of the few staff members who heard the comment. I was APPALLED. This woman touts a system that promotes positive behaviors and culture for her students but then basically says that the only thing her teachers need to worry about is their paycheck. I found this very unsettling. My principal feels that we don't want, need or maybe deserve positive support, something I feel any good administration gives. As a staff we have, countless times, discussed the implications and benefits of multi-layered reward systems for our students. Why can't we do something so simple as using the "Teacher of the Month" parking space as a way to recognize hard work? Could there not be notes given to teachers who are working hard and succeeding?

But, really, why should I be so concerned with a little praise or thank you when there's a paycheck coming in a few days? I know that any type of motivation system for teachers would be a challenge though. My principal has been in my classroom three times, for a total of about 10 minutes, over the course of two years and as I speak with co-workers it seems that this is the rule rather than the exception.

Our administrators continue to complain about teachers taking sick days but then refuse to tell the teachers when none of the three administrators will be in the building. I've even been told that "it's none of [my] business when the administrators are here." Are you serious? It greatly affects my day and certain consequence systems I have in place.

I know that this phenomenon is certainly not unique to my school or my job, but that doesn't make it any less personal for me. All people need more to motivate them to than just a paycheck, at least in the long-term. I think that Baltimore City and my principal in particular could benefit from keeping this in mind. Teachers will never stay in a system that doesn't appreciate their hard work in many ways.

No comments: