Saturday, March 31, 2007

When will science matter?

With the recent conclusion of the MSAs, and the fact that I, a 6th grade science teacher, was “asked” to teach math in the weeks preceding the MSAs, the importance of science in our schools has really been on my mind lately. Does anyone other than me and my fellow secondary science teachers see the importance of implementing a rigorous science curriculum in which students are assessed and evaluated based on this knowledge??

In the beginning of my first year teaching (August – December 2005) I taught science to all of my students each and every day. Granted, the schedule was completely incoherent, and I’d teach two classes for 60 minutes and two classes for 90 minutes, with the amount of time each group of students spent in my class changing from day to day. However, at least I saw my students every day! During December of 2005, Baltimore City “mandated” that all middle schools teach math and language arts for 90 minutes each day. The result?? Time spent in science and social studies classes was cut by half. So now, instead of seeing my students on a consistent basis every day, I only see them every other day for 90 minutes. The problems created by this A-Day/B-Day schedule are numerous, the most obvious effect being that my students will only learn half of the science curriculum. Furthermore, it creates problems with homework completion because my sixth graders, who are still very much in the elementary mindset, lose their homework some time between Monday morning and Wednesday morning when I see them again. But I suppose Baltimore City doesn’t see the need for middle school science instruction to take place daily since it is not a tested subject. And that’s a huge problem in and of itself. Why isn’t it a tested subject? When will someone realize that the critical thinking skills gained through inquiry-based learning are necessary for anyone planning to survive in this world?

A new science curriculum was implemented this year in a pilot program to eighth grade students and supposedly the students were going to be assessed on this information in a pilot MSA test. However, our students were never tested. So am I supposed to believe it when I am told that next year both 7th and 6th grade science will follow this scripted science curriculum and that all middle school students will be tested in science? People have been saying this for years and it has yet to happen. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

-Kendra

No comments: