Sunday, April 20, 2008

Achievement Gap at all levels.

I came across a really interesting article in my NCTE blog again, and I wanted to bring it up because I just spent time with one of my students from last year who is now a freshman at City College High and making great grades. The study showed that the gap between high-achieving white and black students is higher than the gap at the low end. Apparently, it's because high-achieving black students are often in all-black schools. According to the article from Education Week, “'It appears on average to be worse for a child to be in a school with a high black enrollment share, but it’s not clear why,”' said Mr. Rivkin. '“It could be important given the recent [U.S.] Supreme Court decision on desegregation,” he added, referring to a ruling in June of last year that sharply limited schools from using race to assign students to schools.'"

The article lists a lot of reasons, but I can certainly give a few based on my teaching experiences over the last two years. My highest-achieving students don't have very many opportunities for enrichment--no gifted program, just one Algebra class, and no advanced resources. As a middle school student, I was taking six classes, including a weekly all-day gifted class. I improved in school because of expectations and opportunity, which my students don't experience in the same way. I also think that racial diversity, in addition to religious, linguistic, etc., provides learning opportunities that enrich and strengthen learning.

I had students in my classes who were very different from me, and I learned a lot from them over the course of my schooling.

I also had an interesting comment from one of my students at the beginning of the year. He said that he was in a private school last year, and he had to be very competitive because the white students didn't expect him to do well. While I obviously don't want students to become racist in their profiling of other students, I also think that a culture of achievement and competition is the best kind of classroom in our educational structure. Theoretically, everyone wins if they pass, so competition is good in the classroom.

Lastly, I think that our students, many of whom have limited mobility in and out of the city. Letting them learn with other students would be a great opportunity. Even if students who get bussed to the suburbs don't improve their scores, they could thrive here in Baltimore if they are offered more opportunities to improve.

No comments: