Saturday, April 26, 2008

Paying Students

At first glance, money would seem like an obvious motivator for our students. Many of our students are consumed with the thought of money and want the things that money can buy. When it was announced that students would be paid for attending night school programs and improving their scores on HSAs they had already failed, I thought at least it would get students to come and perhaps put a little more effort into it. I was wrong. Out of 74 students eligible to attend my Algebra night school program, I have 4 who come regularly and a total of 8 more who sometimes attend. Those who attend would have participated without the fiscal incentive. They truly want to pass the test for internal motives or simply to insure they graduate come next May.

It is for this reason that I do not think the Peer-to-Peer program would be a huge success. A coalition in Baltimore city is asking for 3 million in funding in order to have students tutor and mentor their peers, while getting paid for their services. I can sympathize with the group’s views and goals. I do believe that they do great things. I know students, for example, who participate in the debate mentoring program. They enjoy it and get a lot out of it. But, I do not think that offering money will draw in significantly more student volunteers. Those who would do it are already doing it. And, I’m not sure if the programs would benefit from most of the students who are only in it for the money. Would they really do a good job mentoring their peers? Would they take it seriously? I’m not sure.

I do feel for the students who already give up their time for such programs. Its much more of a sacrifice for our students to volunteer than it is for others. Volunteering, to some extent, is a luxury for those who can afford to. Many of our students are supporting families and need to work as many hours as they can. Perhaps funding these programs would help those students, but I'm not sure it would be widespread.

No comments: