Monday, April 21, 2008

It’s only called CREDIT Recovery for a reason…

This past week, I was in the computer lab at my school during last period. There were several students who were working in the lab, independent of my kids. As I walked around I noted that one of the girls was working on a Credit Recovery Course. Needless to say, she was supposed to be in another class, but despite this, I noted the quick rate with which she was answering the questions and felt compelled to ask. The student grinned. “I’m finishing English III. She gestured to the keyboard and clicked on the “Summary” function of the program, which essentially highlighted the answers for the student. Credit Recovery is an increasingly popular option for students who are behind in credit, but is this merely a way to corral students toward graduation? Students are recovering credits, but are they recovering missed information? A sense of responsibility or accountability? Unfortunately, I would argue that in most cases they are not. Students can miss several months of school but with the right amount of money and brief dedication in their Credit Recovery course, they are good to go. Those months didn’t matter and neither did the information.
Online Credit Recovery seems seen as a cure-all for kids who fail to attend or simply fail a course. The reason for absence seems irrelevant (though many of my kids have very compelling reasons not to be at school sometimes) , students don’t need the credits quite as much as they need the INFORMATION that they missed. We let them off from the actual learning. Forget the 180 days that they missed ¾ of, they also missed all of American Literature and are moving on to a new grade without the writing skills, knowledge and enjoyment of literature that could occurred in the classroom. The New York Times article, Lacking Credits Some Students Learn Shortcut discussed this issue in New York looking at it through the story of one student who used Credit Recovery to pass an English course that he chronically cut. The student did three essays and was permitted to graduate with his class last spring. It must be noted that I think that Baltimore has put a much greater interest in developing academic programs that it seems New York has. I still wonder, however, if students in these programs come out with knowledge they are able to use? One educational advocate cited in the article noted that “…when it’s used correctly, it might be a good thing,” Ms. Ravitch said of credit recovery, “but when used incorrectly it’s a way of gaming the system.”
In a desperate crunch to increase graduation rates, Credit Recovery programs provide an easy out for students. They send the wrong message, in many cases. Students don’t need to be accountable for their education—they just need the credits. It’s ok to cut school and to miss class. You didn’t need to do any of that work. For a little over $100 and a few hours of pointing and clicking you can buy your credits. I am concerned that this online program, well intentioned as it may be, is just what it states credit recovery rather than academic mastery.

2 comments:

IrishTeach said...

I have major issues with credit recovery as well. I have one student who I have taught geometry the past two years. Not only has she never passed a single quarter of my class (all 7 I've had her) but she's actually only ever passed one class in her three years at my school. But, she makes up her credits in credit recovery. It kills me. She shows up to school every day and sits there like a lump on a log because she knows she can do credit recovery. She then uses her friends to cheat her way through Twighlight. Its absurd. And she isn't alone. Twighlight should be there for kids who genuinely need to make up one class and don't have other options. It shouldn't be a fall back (and crutch) for everyone to make up all of their classes.

mattconnors said...

My school seems about to use an online credit recovery program (NovaNET) this year. I would like to hear from any other teachers who have had experience with this issue. You can reach me at mjdwconn@gmail.com