Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My school is closing… so what now?

Quite a hot topic around BCPS in the past month has been the proposed closings and restructuring of many of city schools. I think this sends a message to all schools that if you don’t get your act together, we mean business. I don’t necessarily disagree with the decisions being made. As a teacher of one of those schools proposed to close, I truly believe that it is the best possible decision. However, I can only speak for my situation.

Bottom line is that there are many reasons a school should be closed. Dropping enrollment and extreme acts of violence coupled with a failing record and an administration that just isn’t cutting it, spells DISASTER!


I don’t know if a new administration could really wipe the slate clean and set the record straight. The students have gotten comfortable with the status quo and it would take an extremely strong leader to uproot their corrupt ways. One concern I have is just shipping these conditioned students to different schools going to make a real difference in the life of the students. One thing I know is that it only takes a couple of students who are not interested in learning to disrupt an entire class. I can see some of my current students spreading out to terrorize other schools. I guess the hope is that they will enter schools where things are going moderately well and the students will be reigned in.


Another concern I have is for the good students who see our school as a better place to be than some of the options being presented to them. They can’t reason why they should be sent to another school where violence is also a problem and AYP is also not being met. Dr. Alonso had made the claim that he wants all of his schools to be a place where kids would want to be, great goal! I know that many of my students look forward to the closing of our school, but some dread being sent back to the schools they worked very hard to escape.


I also feel the timing, although necessary for due process to take place, was terrible. The week before the big test these students were basically told it doesn’t matter how you perform you are going to be shut down. I had several students boasting the notion of saving the school. Others I had to convince would need to try their best so they too can get into the best school possible. Either way the message from North Ave. was clear, your success doesn’t matter. I know that closing the school is the best possible solution to the plague of negativity that has been seeping through the walls for years, but I wonder if the walls of their destination schools might not be seeping the same….

1 comment:

Megan said...

It also really bothers me that the solution is to take all the kids out of the failing schools and expand successful schools. For one thing, the problems of the failing school are likely to follow the students if they move in a mass exodus. Secondly, couldn't it easily be that the successful schools are successful BECAUSE they are small? I have huge fears that this is just going to be a big turn around upsets lots of people but does not actually solve anything.

On the other hand, in listening to Alonso speak on Saturday, he definitely sold me on his qualifications. From what his introduction was about and what he said, Alonso has great experience in reforming a school system and aims to do great things. I want to trust and believe in him, but I am somewhat skeptical.

And I 100% agree that the timing was AWFUL.