Thursday, April 2, 2009

The new technology is pretty, but...

As a teacher at Frederick Douglass High School, I have seen my school in the media frequently this year-- sometimes in a positive light, sometimes in a not-so-positive light. With negative statements about my school coming from high levels of state government, it's refreshing when the media has something positive to say about the work we are doing. However, I sometimes wonder whether we are receiving praise for the wrong things. Students and teachers do amazing things every day, but these are frequently overlooked in favor of events that are, well, flashier.

Now, don't get me wrong-- the new computer lab that has been donated to our school is gorgeous, and I am extremely grateful to Verizon and to those who worked tirelessly to solicit the donations and to assemble the finished product. However, it was disheartening for me and for my students when we were told that we were not allowed to actually use the lab. My ninth-graders had written outstanding research papers, and it was very frustrating for them when I told them that they would not be able to type them, even when the technology was clearly in place. Currently, neither students nor teachers are allowed to use the lab, and nobody will respond to inquiries regarding when or if this policy will change.

Why is there such fanfare over something that in no way affects the lives of the students at Douglass? This past Friday, the students put on an incredible production, the Live Blacks in Wax. The students portrayed various characters from history, and they researched and wrote the parts themslves. Ella Fitzgerald sang, Debbie Allen danced, Will Smith rapped-- the students showcased their talents in exciting ways. Faculty members performed and designed the elaborate costumes and sets. It was a true community effort, and it passed unnoticed by the people who have been so critical of our school. I would like to see less focus on the glitzy technology and more focus on what really matters-- the awesome things students are doing here every day.

No comments: