Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I can has technology training plz?

On Monday, Frederick Douglass High opened a brand new computer lab, created with donations from Verizon. Apparently this was an important enough event to draw Dr. Alonso, Sheila Dixon, and Governor O’Malley.

Don’t get me wrong – I think this new computer lab is great. It is becoming clearer and clearer everyday how important it is to teach technology literacy to our students. It is something that needs to be taught in every class, in every discipline.

But how are teachers keeping up with the explosion of technology? What professional development is being offered to keep teachers ahead of the curve? What professional development is being REQUIRED to keep teachers knowledgeable about technology?

At a faculty meeting just a few weeks ago I mentioned using blogs to access interesting lesson plans and ideas from other teachers. Another teacher at my table told me she really liked my “blobs” idea. Clearly, we’re dealing with a digital and generational divide.

But just because I’m young (and hip, or so I’d like to think) doesn’t mean that I’m the Internet or computer expert. Where is the PD on effectively using blogging in the classroom, on podcasts, on things that I haven’t thought of because I’m not an Internet expert?

High school math teachers were offered the following choices for the next professional development day:

HSA Algebra Benchmark Analysis
Pre-Ap Topics for AP Vertical Teams in Mathematics

I can has technology plz?

No comments: